Sunday, December 4, 2016

Final Thoughts on NYC

I wanted to take a moment and post some final photos and thoughts on our time in New York City.

To be honest, I had some trepidation about this visit.  I’m not as young as I used to be and have some pain in my hips and ankles.  I knew there would be a whole lot of walking to do along with the crowds and possibility of crime against us.  I’d also heard about “rude New Yorkers” and pictured ourselves being scowled at and growled at by people trying to push past us on the sidewalks.

Nothing could be farther from the truth.  A co-worker of mine who grew up in that neck of the woods described the population as “blunt”.  It’s a perfect description.  I found the people to be polite, friendly and just, well, people. 

The city is remarkable.  It has its urban ills with the homeless population and crime and the crush of tourists that stress the infrastructure, but the city chugs along famously.  I want to go back and I will. Sure, I had aching feet at the end of each day, but Ibuprofen is my friend and we were able to put miles behind us as we explored and ate and photographed our way through the city.

We missed so much this time around: the Rockettes, Broadway productions, the rest of Central Park, the subway, the hop-on hop-off bus, the Yankees, but that will give us something to look forward to next time.



I heard about these and was going to try them, but as I was deciding what I wanted, a homeless guy started pestering me for spare change, so I walked away from him and Wafels and Dinges.

All kinds of things to buy here.

Kiosks like this are everywhere.  Newsstands, too.

Get your fresh produce.

Parked cars stacked.  I even saw one place that had them stacked 4 high.


Behind the man on his cell you can barely see the carts with hot dogs, sausages, and goodness.

Walking map

Trump Tower with no protestors. I guess they showed up the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment